Nothing creates winter ambiance such as a log from the fireplace with everybody gathered around to enjoy its warmth and pleasing light. Playing with fire is dangerous for kids, so please remember these hints from the AAP before you light your fireplace. If possible, keep a window cracked open although the fire is burning. Make sure the damper or flue is open before starting a fire. Keeping the damper or flue open until the fire is outside will draw smoke from the house. The damper can be assessed by looking to the chimney with a flashlight or mirror.
 
Don’t close the damper till the embers have stopped burning. Use dry and aged wood. Wet or green wood causes more smoke and contributes to soot accumulation in the chimney. Wood burns with less smoke and burns more. Pieces of timber set burn faster on the grate and produce less smoke. Clean out ashes from fires. Degrees of ash in the base of the fireplace should be maintained to 1 inch or less because a layer restricts the air source to logs, leading to more smoke. The chimney must be checked by a professional. If the chimney isn’t due for a cleaning, it’s important to check for animal nests or other blockages which may prevent smoke from penetrating.
 
Ensure that the area around the fireplace is clear of everything that’s flammable. If these things get too close to the fireplace, or if a length of wood pops and throws sparks, they can catch fire. In case Your gas fireplace is turned on by a switch on the wall, use a gate or pay for the change to prevent your kid from turning the gas or fireplace on. Never leave a fire in a fireplace unattended. Make sure it’s completely outside before going to bed or leaving the house. Should you leave the room whilst the fire is burning or the fireplace is hot, take your little kid with you.
 
Cut your kid’s risk of burns from the hot glass front of several fireplaces. Safety screens can be installed to reduce the danger of burns. Place fireplace tools and accessories from a young child’s reach. Additionally, remove any lighters and matches. Install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Test them monthly and change the batteries at least once every year. Keep a fire extinguisher on your hand. Communicate to kids as soon as possible the risks of fires and the heat created from them.